Hai Di Lao (海底捞火锅) @ Clarke Quay, Singapore (Rating: 3.5/5)

It is my fourth visit to Hai Di Lao since last year. I always leave the restaurant satisfied and fully sated at every visit. The dining experience is a breeze and hassle-free.

I had lunch at Hai Di Lao for the first time. At 1pm, the restaurant was still crowded. Luckily, I reserved a table a week prior to my lunch with my girlfriend. While waiting for her, one of the staff offered me a plate of fruits and asked me if I would like to have a drink. Although the fruits were taken from the salad bar, it was very thoughtful of her. I was pleasantly touched by her gesture.

When my friend arrived, we ordered a double-flavored hot pot called yuan yang (鸳鸯). It comprise of the Szechuan spicy broth and chicken broth. The chicken broth was rich.

During this dining experience, I learned a number of things:
  1. Crispy fish skin into the hot pot
  2. How to make delicious dipping sauces
 

 



  

We ordered a wide range of food:
  • HaiDiLao Flavoured Beef (捞派滑牛肉)
  • Tofu Slices (豆腐皮)
  • Sliced bean curd (腐竹)
  • Sweet Potato Broad Noodles (红薯宽粉)
  • Golden Needle Mushroom
  • Handmade mashed shrimp
  • Chinese Cabbage
  • Pork slices
  • Deep fried fish skin
  • Quail eggs




Between the two hot pots, the beancurd skin roll tasted better with the sichuan spicy broth. 

 

Sliced pork

 

My friend taught me how to eat the chinese cabbage. She broke the vegetable into small pieces and then put into the non-spicy broth. The cabbage tasted better in the non-spicy broth.



HaiDiLao Flavoured Beef (捞派滑牛肉) was great in both broths. It remained tender even though it was in the pots for a long time.

 

Quail eggs

 

Golden Needle Mushroom

 

This is yet another delicious crispy fish skin. I initially thought that it was supposed to eat it on its own. However, my friend taught me something new. She broke the crispy fish skin into the non-spicy hot pot. When it was ready to serve, it looked like fish maw. It was delicious to eat this way too.



My friend made me this dipping sauce. This sauce is best dipped with food in the spicy pot. It will bring out the taste of the food.

Ingredients:
  • Peanut Sauce
  • Hoisin Sauce
  • BBQ sauce (沙茶酱)



She made me another one which is for the non-spicy hot pot. Although I like both sauces, I prefer this to the former. Perhaps we locals just love spicy sauces. :P

Ingredients:
  • Coriander
  • Red Chilli
  • Garlic

Address: 3D River Valley Road, #02-04, Clarke Quay, Singapore
Price: $$
Rating: 3.5/5
Service Rating: 4/5

Comments